At Woodside we recognize that the world is facing a climate emergency and there is limited time left to take control of climate change before irreversible trigger points are reached. Please support us in this. Things we have done, and are doing or planning to do, include:
- Installation of solar panels so that we use less gas and electricity and our surplus goes back to the grid for others to use.
- Changing our lighting to low energy LED units as part of our electrical update this summer.
- Encouraging pupils, staff and parents to walk or pedal to school rather than driving.
- Organizing visits to local places where children can walk, cycle or going into London by train rather than using coaches and cars.
- Encouraging biodiversity in our school grounds and in particular planting trees which will capture carbon.
- Removing beef from the school menu (methane produced by cattle is an even worse greenhouse gas than CO2 and a significant cause of global warming).
- Cutting down on food wasted and making sure it goes to compost bins rather than contaminating other recycling.
- Cutting down and single use plastics in school meals with ice cream and yoghurt served in washable crockery.
- Installing a charging point which can make use of our solar panels and encourage staff to buy electric cars.
- Serving the community as a recycling centre for clothes, shoes, batteries and plastic tops.
- Teaching children about climate change and how they can make positive choices in their lives and achieving Eco schools coveted Green Flag.
- Raising awareness of environmental issues in the wider community and leading on this issue beyond local and national government expectations.
You can help by supporting us and doing many of these things and more at home. There is no planet B.