On Wednesday 7th December our new extension was opened by the deputy Mayor of Thurrock, councillor Tunde Ojetela. We already had the three ground floor classes in the new extension in use and accessible through our extended library which we have been furnishing and restocking as a learning hub for the school. The rest of the building, including three upstairs classrooms plus additional toilets, PE store, group room, stairs, lift, and rooftop viewing terrace is now complete are now ready for use. When Woodside School, originally named Tyrells, was built in 1952 it was state of the art for the time, with radio speakers and roller black boards in every room! The new extension is equally up-to-date, with internet connected touch screens, air conditioning and a number of eco features including solar power and a sedum "grass" roof which can be viewed along with the surrounding countryside from the terrace. The school was originally built in the "Ocean Liner Art Deco Style" and the new extension echoes the lines of the original and even includes the trademark "porthole" windows. In keeping with this we opened the extension just like launching a ship by breaking a bottle of "champagne" on the top of the building from the roof terrace. The car park has been extended for the increasing number of staff and we have widened the path into the main playground so that we can use this area for additional parking. Following the opening we planted a Rowan tree donated by our builders Beardswell Construction.